Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Saturday 10 December 2011

Tapas time - Scallops and Chorizo


 Well, I say Tapas time and I imagine these would be pretty fine tapas too. I'd put the slices of chorizo and a scallop on a toothpick and drizzle them in the pan juices, or maybe have them as a dip of some sort, but when I had these it wasn't tapas, it was selfish, self indulgent and a special moment for me and me only. No Lola. No Finn. No Phill.

You see, the problem that I have is that I am the only person here who adores fish and seafood. Whilst some of our number will happily post fish fingers until the end of time, and there are those who enjoy fish and peas from the chippy, I am, essentially, alone when it comes to the love of fish and it is such a shame. Our diet could be far more fresh and varied if I could convince everyone that fish is just delish. At the moment I am failing but I still hope that one day I will share a fruit de mer with one or all of my family sat in some harbourside cafe in Honfleur or somewhere. And if it doesn't happen, then I'll eat it on my own, like I do now. When Phill is away or not home for dinner, I give Lola and Finn their pasta fix and then I cook a very special meal for one, always involving fish or seafood, always simple and quick. This recipe, from Nigel Slater, was a triumph.

This is a lovely dish, cooked in around 10 minutes and marries the salty, spicy, smokiness of chorizo with creamy sweetness of scallop. The chilli provides subtle background heat the honey caramelises beautifully and makes the chorizo taste even more amazing, if that's possible.

Scallops and Chorizo, from Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking

Ingredients

3 fresh chorizo sausages, sliced into rounds the thickness of a pound coin

4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced

2 red chillies, thickly sliced

24 scallops, cleaned (with 6 shells reserved and cleaned if you can get them)

2 tbsp runny honey


Heat a heavy griddle pan over a high heat. Fry the chorizo until it is browned and some of the juices are running in the pan. Add the spring onion and chilli and fry for 2-3 minutes.

Add the scallops and fry for 2-3 minutes on either side or until cooked through. Drizzle over the runny honey and stir to coat. Divide the scallops and chorizo among the six scallop shells (if using) and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...