Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Making it sound sweet so my kids will eat it! Caramel Chicken



I have to confess when I first happened upon this I did wonder whether this was something I would like to eat, as I couldn't shake the idea of it tasting like a Werther's Original, but I figured that the intriguing title meant that it was worth a try and I am glad I did, because Lola and Finn adored this. There is a caramelly nature to this, but I think it is more to do with the colour, a gorgeously burnished affair, rather than sweetness, though there is a hint of something caramel about the taste, but only fleeting. It's nowhere near enough to think that you are eating dessert.

I am also convincing myself that this comes under the guise of being healthy.

I made few alteratins to the original. I am not a massive fan of red onion when it is cooked so I subbed spring onions. I have a thing for flecks of green. I served this with some stir fried vegetables and noodles and it was delish!

Caramel Chicken, adapted from Open Kitchen by Bill Granger

Serves 3, plus Lola and Finn

8 chicken thigh fillets, skinless, chopped in half, (though I used breasts)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 spring onions, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
55ml/2fl oz dark soy sauce
110g/4oz brown sugar
55ml/2fl oz Thai fish sauce

Method

Place the chicken and oil in a bowl and toss to combine. Heat a large frying pan over a high heat until hot.

Add half the chicken and cook for two minutes on one side until lightly browned, turn and cook for another minute. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining chicken.

Reduce the heat to medium and add a little extra oil if needed. Add the onion and garlic and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.

Return the chicken to the pan, season liberally with black pepper, add the soy sauce and stir to combine.

Cover the pan, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Increase the heat to high, add the sugar and stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce is rich, dark and syrupy.

Add the fish sauce and stir to combine. Place in a serving dish and serve with your chosen accompaniments.

2 comments:

  1. Ths looks great Stella...did you serve it over rice noodles?
    Love Bill Granger...i will deifinitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours in this dish. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...