Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Friday 27 April 2012

Gorgeously Greek and very tasty! Greek Lamb Tray Bake





I've decided that this is the meal I envisage cooking next time I am slumming it in some villa in Greece. (Slumming it; I wish!!! To be there is an absolute joy!) Most people think I am just a tad peculiar for actually enjoying cooking on holiday and I would like to stress here and now that it isn't always the case. I enjoyed being wined and dined as much as the next mum, but I do, it has to be said, gain far more satisfaction that I probably should by taking cookbooks on holiday, already stuffed with post it notes, ready for a mooch round the local market or such like, looking for things I can rustle up whilst the kids are splashing around or whilst Phill has is head in one of those pile of books people (i.e. me) keep getting him for Christmas but he never ever gets around to reading until the Summertime when all the important day to day stuff happily disappears from view for a couple of weeks.



Here I get the best of both worlds: I've cooked dinner and it's looking after itself in the oven whilst I'm all over a glass of wine and I am watching the kids play. Fabulous.



This recipe is from the BBC GoodFood website, and is amazingly easy to make, even the meatballs, which I always think is a beautifully theraputic activity in itself. Pick really tasty tomatoes if you can and season the mix well, particularly the meatballs which will taste a bit like cotton wool if you are too shy with the seasoning.

I left out the mint. I quite like it but Lola and Finn think it's a bit weird if it is not with chocolate in ice cream. I can understand that notion. I substituted parsley. I also upped the meat content because 250g mince is a bit stingy. I also upped the potato content and added some oregano to my meatball mix.


Greek Lamb Tray Bake, adapted from the BBC GoodFood website

Serves Lola, Finn, Mum, Dad plus one other

Ingredients:
 
50g fresh white breadcrumbs
250g lamb mince (though I used 500g)
1 egg, beaten

1 tsp oregano
2 onions, halved
A handful of mint, chopped, (though I substituted parsley)
2 large potatoes, cut into wedges (though I used 3 as we all love potatoes)
2 courgettes, cut into batons
12 cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
50g feta cheese, crumbled

Method
 
Preheat the oven to 200c/180c/Gas 6.

Put the breadcrumbs, lamb mince, egg and plenty of seasoning on a bowl. Add half of a finely chopped or grated onion and half of the parsley and the oregano. Mix everything together until well combined and then form into meatballs. I make slightly smaller ones for the kids, but somewhere between a walnut and golf ball size.

Cut the remaining onion into wedges and put onto a suitable baking tray or dish with the potatoes, the courgettes, the meatballs and the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and season well once more.


Bake for about 40 minutes, turning things around about half way to ensure even cooking.

When ready, sprinkle with the feta and the remaining parsley.

2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious. I almost bought ground lamb at the store this week and now I have a reason to! I love the feta and top, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean - I adore a browse in foreign supermarkets and always go self-catering just so I can have a go at cooking all the exotic ingredients I can't take home with me. We still go to restaurants for the dining out experience - but it wouldn't be a proper holiday without a kitchen and some exotic ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...