Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Thursday 3 May 2012

Slow roasted and glorious - Chorizo, Pork and Butterbean Stew







Yes, here I am again with my Spanishness and my adoration for all things chorizo. Well all things 'pig' really if you count the pork and the pancetta. I should be eating this in Autumn, but, the fact is this is typical fare just recently, which tells you all you need to know about the temperature outside, and whilst this isn't stodge, it is tasty and will warm your bones up. And it fills you up, not unsurprisingly, with all that meat!

The recipe is from an ancient back copy of 'Olive' purchased many moons ago and stuck in my recipe book. I went for diced pork over belly; not that there is anything wrong with belly - in fact, it is divine, but I wanted something less fatty. I subbed parsley for coriander and I went for butter beans over cannelloni. Just for a change. Plus I have this idea that butterbeans look more Spanish, when I think of Judion Gigantes with tomato and chorizo. Yum.

Phill loved this particularly, as his love affair with the chorizo is as deep as mine, and Lola and Finn loved this too. They thought it was big baked beans and sausage, which I kinda liked the idea of. You could make this more hot with your choice of paprika, but I went for smoked, as I find it less likely to switch the kids off totally.

And you need good bread with this. This is not the time for supermarket sliced bread.




Pork and Chorizo Stew with Butterbeans, adapted from 'Olive' magazine


Serves Lola, Finn, Mum and Dad, plus another

Ingredients:



750g pork belly or diced pork
olive oil
130g pancetta or lardons
1 large onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
200g chorizo, cut into small chunks
1 tsp smoked paprika
400g tinned tomatoes
150ml white wine
100 - 150ml water
400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
Chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper




Method:


 
Fry off the pork, allowing the fat to render if you are using pork belly. When nicely browned, remove to a plate.


 
Fry off the onions and when translucent, add the garlic. Cook until fragrant and then add the pancetta.





 
When the pancetta has started to crispen a little, add the paprika and the chorizo. Stir to combine.




Return the pork to the pan and add the tinned tomatoes, the beans and the wine. Stir.




Add just enough water to cover the meat, then bring up to the boil. Season well.

 



Place in the oven, covered, for between 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The stew is ready when the pork is soft and yielding and the sauce has thickened perceptibly. Taste again to see if more seasoning is required.





To serve, scatter with parsley and add some crusty bread on the side.









1 comment:

  1. The photo of Lola and Finn makes me smile eat time I stop by :) And your spicy beans make me smile, too...this sounds like an amazing dish! Have a lovely weekend, Stella~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...