Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Saturday 23 June 2012

Living my dream and a pudding for all weathers - Raspberry Cinnamon Streusel Tart



I was at once captivated and enthralled when on a whim I bought the cookbook 'A Table at the Tarn' by Orlando Murrin. It was one of those gems so often unearthed after a trawl through Amazon on a rainy afternoon when I have plenty of things I could be doing but am putting them off with a little 'Internet Therapy'. I was looking for something else as it happened when this book appeared in the 'Other people looked at...' section or whatever it's called. I bought it and am very glad that I did, as it is now a splattered, well thumbed copy that has seen many hours of action in my kitchen and when it is not being used to create the delicious recipes therein, it is being read for its wonderfully interesting insights about two people going with their desires and making a wonderful cooking and living experience in South West France. There's no way I would pull off such a venture like this, but I can dream, and as I get older the idea of decamping myself to France has more and more appeal. Maybe one day, when my work is done, I will get myself a little place somewhere and I can too experience a way of life which I perceive to be healthier, more fulfilling and less inspiring than living in Britain presently.

Talking of France, (and have I told you were off on holiday there shortly?) I have decided to whittle down the contents of the fridge, freezer and store cupboards in preparation for not being here for a couple of weeks or so, and it is my way of saving on the cost of buying more food when I already have enough. I am the world's worst at this, and I have decided to be far stricter with myself and cook according to the cupboard first rather than be driven by the cookbook. It is with this new found and hopefully long lasting philosophy that I decided on this recipe. I had raspberries in the freezer which were bought when very cheap and stashed away as it was clear that they weren't going to be used. Then I discovered that I had all the other ingredients. Result. It was time to get to work.

I had to alter the nuts used (see below) and the original recipe calls for creme fraiche or a sabayon ice cream to accompany it, which I am sure is delightful. However, initially I served the tart warm with some of the almond ice cream which went well, and with the leftovers  couple of days later, I used custard, and it was joyous. Custard often is. And if you are aware of the current 'Autumnal' weather we have been having here of late, this pudding and custard is proper comfort food.


Raspberry and Cinnamon Streusel Tart, slightly adapted from 'A Table in the Tarn' by Orlando Murrin and Peter Steggall

Serves Lola, Finn, Mum and Dad, twice

Ingredients:

150g blanched or ground almonds (or similar: I didn't have quite enough almonds so subbed some mixed nuts to make up the desired quantity)
150g softened unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 large egg
250g raspberries
Icing sugar, to dust


Method:

Grease the pan, paying attention to the sides and top edge if using a fluted pan as this is where it will stick.



Now process the almonds with the butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon and egg till combined. Set half aside (if you have time, put in a bag and freeze - though I didn't).



 Spread the rest in a layer in the base of the pan, using a wet fork. I also used the rounded part of a glass to press the mixture up the sides of the pan.



Cover with raspberries and then crumble or grate over the reserved mixture. It does not have to cover completely.

Bake the tart for 40 to 60 minutes at 350°F (175°C) [325°F (160°C) fan oven]. The top should feel firm but springy and be well browned; if it begins to scorch before you feel the tart is cooked, cover with foil. In my fan oven, the tart was cooked in about 40 minutes.



Leave the tart to cool. Then serve.




1 comment:

  1. I love our families being the same size - your serving sizes are always bang on for the 4 of us as well. I am going to make this because I love Orlando Murrin and I now know it's two slices apiece for us all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...