Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Rice Pudding, but not as we know it. Payasam (Indian Rice Pudding)

 
 
If I were that bothered to look back at what I suppose would now constitute an 'archive' of recipes on Lola and Finn's Mum, then I think I would be looking at three, maybe four recipes for a rice pudding of some description, and that really isn't a bad thing, because, frankly, rice pudding is not a bad thing. Rice pudding is glorious. Rice pudding is ace. And rice pudding is loved the world over, as this recipe for an Indian rice pudding, Payasam, clearly shows.

There's very little else to say, other than this is a recipe adapted from Gordon Ramsay's Great Escapes, his cookery book on Indian food. Whilst I am not a fan of Ramsay, the man, his recipes can be relied on to work and this one does, beautifully.
 
I made a change to the original recipe in that instead of adding water to the mix (rice pudding and water did not compute in my mind) I replaced the water with milk. I suppose it made it more creamy, maybe. I don't know. I also cooked this so it was reasonably dry because it's my preference. Of course, you might like more of a liquid consistency, in which case don't cook it as long. Simple!
 
Lola and Finn adored this. And it was a stunning end to an Indian meal as it took away the spice of the main course and soothed the palate with something sweet and comforting. Gorgeous!
 
Payasam, or Indian Rice Pudding, adapted from 'Great Escape', by Gordon Ramsay
 
Serves Lola, Finn, Mum and Dad and one other generously.
 
Ingredients:
 
150g basmati rice, rinsed and drained
400ml coconut milk
400ml water (but I used milk)
100g jaggery or light brown soft sugar (I used the sugar)
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
50g (or a handful) of mixed chopped nuts (I used flaked almonds)
20g sultanas and/or raisins
 
Method:
 
 
 
Put the rice, milks, (or milk and water) jaggery/sugar and cinnamon into a heavy based saucepan with a lid and being to the boil.
 
Reduce the heat and partially cover the saucepan with the lid, and leave to simmer gently for about 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. If you like it drier, cook it for longer.
 
Add three quarters of the nuts and dried fruit to the rice pudding and stir well to combine. Remove the pan from the heat, cover with a lid and leave to stand for about 5 minutes or so. If the pudding appears dry, then you can add a little milk/water to slacken it off a little.
 
 
 
Ladle the rice pudding into bowls, and scatter the remaining nuts/fruits on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...