Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Friday 28 September 2012

Eastern European Influence - Cherry and Pistachio Gratin

 
 
I have, officially, too many cookery books, because I have had this book for about three years and I haven't cooked a single thing from it yet. Luckily, I have now put this right and I am so pleased that I picked this recipe because it's quirky and different.
 
The book, in case you're wondering, is 'Feasts' from the East European chef Silvena Rowe who when I have seen her on the TV has intrigued me with her different flavours and influences, but even with my interest piqued, it has still taken far too much time for the cookbook to be opened and used with purpose, but I was looking for a recipe that would use up a jar of cherries that had been in the cupboard for some time, and half a packet of pistachios. Isn't it great when you find a recipe that unifies seemingly random ingredients?
 
I imagine that with good, tasty, sweet, beautiful, fresh cherries, this pudding would be just magical. Until my cherry tree (a variety named 'Stella'; not that I am overly narcissistic or self absorbed) does its thing, I will have to put up with the bottled stuff. Sad, but true.
 
Anyway, if this is an example of Eastern European cuisine, then I will be back for more. This is a very easy dish which makes a change from crumble and was beautiful warm with cream, with the leftovers equally as good with some ice cream. If I had have had a tin of custard, it wouldn't have shamed it either. A really lovely, satisfying end to a meal, Hungarian stylee.
 
Cherry and Pistachio Gratin adapted from 'Feasts' by Silvena Rowe
 
Serves Lola, Finn, Mum and Dad, twice
 
Ingredients:
 
100g shelled pistachios
50g brioche breadcrumbs (I used a couple of stale brioche rolls, the Paquier brand, which I buy for Lola and Finn from time to time)
50g light soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
150ml double cream
2 large eggs
a little butter for greasing the pan
500g cherries, washed and pitted (but I used a jar of cherries)
 
Method:
 
Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/Gas 6
 
 
 
Blitz the pistachios, (and the brioche to create the breadcrumbs) and then add to the sugar, eggs, vanilla and cream. Stir to combine.
 
Lightly butter a suitable baking tin or dish that will hold the cherries and the batter.
 
 
Place the cherries in one layer and then pour the gratin mixture over the cherries.
 
Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden on top and firm to the touch.
 
Serve warm with something cold like cream or ice cream.
 

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...