Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Tuesday 30 October 2012

So good you may find yourself licking the bowl - Amaretto Syllabub from Nigella Express

 
 
 
Actually, I believe licking the bowl or getting your index finger into the little twists and turns of the beaters after they've been whipping cream is one of life's simpler pleasures. I grew up with Dream Topping (OMG, remember that? Do they still do it? I may have to investigate...) and one of my memories is getting the beaters after my mum had made it up to hungrily remove any trace of whip that might be hiding here or there. I enjoyed it then, and I enjoy it now. And so does Phill.
 
I am not comparing this recipe to Dream Topping by the way, but I did stand there and enjoy a fingertip or two of this wonderful cream laced with the bite of alcohol when it had just been whipped and it was delightful. Having a dessert dish full of it was real decadence and not great for a diet I don't suppose but Saturday evening Phill and I were on our own as Lola and Finn were at a (very early) Hallowe'en party and I wanted to make something which wasn't kid friendly. This is it. And it's takes about as much time to make as it does to find a couple of decent sized wine glasses, locate the corkscrew, open some wine and pour two glasses, which is the job Phill was doing whilst I did this.
 
Easy, quick, typical Nigella (in my mind) and certainly express. The quickest pud in my repertoire!
 
Amaretto Syllabub, taken from Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson
 
Serves 4 (so I halved the quantities below to make it serve 2)
 
80ml amaretto liqueur
25g caster sugar
15ml lemon juice
225ml double cream
1 (225g) packet amaretti morbidi (soft almond macaroons) (You might not need all of these depending on how much 'crumble' you want)
 
 
 
 
Pour the amaretto liqueur into a bowl with the sugar and lemon juice and stir to combine.
 
 
 
Whisk in the double cream until it has thickened but is still soft and billowy.
 
 
 
Crumble some amaretti biscuits into each of the 4 glasses (or 2 if you're halving it like me, obviously!)
 
 
 
Divide the syllabub between the glasses on top of the crumbled biscuits, then crumble more biscuits, and sprinkle this golden rubble over the top of all the glasses to give a fine sprinkle of crumbs on each. Serve the remaining amaretti alongside the syllabub

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...