Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Thursday 10 January 2013

Ok, healthy eating starts here. Teriyaki Turkey meatballs

 
 
There have been many false dawns and this might be another. What I should probably say is that this is the start of my filling the fridge full of fresher, healthier stuff as I whittle my way through the gallon of cream and dozens of eggs and so on that was in the fridge post the Christmas binge. I had this idea that I would be making some nice desserts etc. to go with the meat laden feasts of Christmas time, but the fact is, I couldn't see past the cheese board (I can never see past the cheese board. I put this down to my mum eating a pound of cheese A DAY when she was carrying me. I am, in fact, made of cheese. I am a slave to Stilton, corrupted by Camembert, distracted by...
er... Dairylea...)
 
So, anyway, before I got waylaid by my love of cheese, I was talking about trying to be more healthy and wholesome after the Christmas splurge and this recipe is a nice place to start. I know it says turkey but don't let that put you off. Enough time has passed since you used up the last of that leftover turkey and this tastes soooo good! The original recipe (which is from BBC GoodFood magazine - a rich vein of inspiration at the moment) calls for the blitzing of chicken breast but I had turkey mince in the freezer, in my mind a far superior (and cheaper) alternative.
 
And here's a thing. The recipe recommends you serve these delicious meatballs on a bed of spring greens and basmati rice. And I did, despite the very likely Lola and Finn revolt over the inclusion of green stuff. Anyway, after discovering that spring greens and rice on the same fork actually taste quite nice, I encouraged Lola and Finn to try it this way. They did, and they agreed. See, I knew it was possible!
 
Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs, adapted from Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs in BBC GoodFood magazine, January 2013 edition
 
My adaptations in red
 
Serves Lola, Finn, Mum and Dad
 
Ingredients:
 
2 shallots
1 carrot, cut into chunks (I used two)
handful of coriander
500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into chunks (I used 500g turkey mince)
zest and juice 1 lemon
a little oil
200g basmati rice
200g spring greens, chopped
100ml mirin
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp caster sugar
 
Method:
 
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
 
 
 
Pulse the shallots, coriander and carrot in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the turkey, lemon zest and some seasoning, and pulse again until mixed.
 
 
 
Using oiled hands, shape into small meatballs. Put on a baking tray lined with baking parchment (I just oiled mine!) and bake for 10 mins until browned and cooked through.
 
Meanwhile, boil the rice following pack instructions, adding the spring greens for the final 4 mins. Drain well.
 
 
 
Add the mirin, soy, lemon juice and sugar to a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer until saucy.
 
 
 
Remove from the heat, add the meatballs to the pan and roll them around in the sauce.
 
Slightly blurred - getting used to a new camera!
 
 
Divide the rice and greens between plates or bowls and spoon the meatballs over.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This looks so good! Never try teriyaki with turkey before! My sons would love this delicious turkey meatballs & me too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...