I adore this with double cream. Tamasin Day Lewis recommends clotted cream. Her advice is excellent.
Tasmanian Lemon Pie - adapted from 'West of Ireland Summers' by Tamasin Day Lewis
- 125 g butter, softened
- 280 g vanilla sugar (or sugar with a few drops of vanilla - your choice!)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp plain flour, sifted
- 400 ml plain flour
- grated rind and juice of 2 lemons (though I would use 4, as I am after real tang!!)
2. Using a standing mixer or electric hand beater, cream the butter with the sugar for 4-5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
4. Add the grated rind and juice of the lemons.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Using a metal spoon, fold lightly into the mixture to incorporate air.
6. Pour into the baking dish - the mixture should come about 5cm up the side of the dish.
7. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until slightly brown on top and obviously set, but faintly shuddery.
8. Serve warm with cream.