Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Friday 18 April 2014

Lola makes Nutella Nests

 
 
Well, here we are, Good Friday and all that and I could have bothered myself to make hot cross buns but to be honest, it was all a bit too involved. But, I felt compelled to do something seasonal and as the Easter holiday is nearing its sad end and I probably won't be able to blog 'til, oh, I don't know...end of May maybe. So, I involved one of my creative muses, Lola, and four ingredients - Menier chocolate, Nutella, Cadbury's Mini Eggs and Crunchy Nut Cornflakes to rustle up something that kinda suggested Easter.
 
During our recent move I amazingly found an untapped jar of Nutella nestling at the back of the cupboard and what's more it was edging towards its best before date. If I'd have opened it, very soon afterwards you would have found me stood in the kitchen trying to get the last of it out of the bottom with a teaspoon. At least this way I used half the jar of it without being the one totally responsible for eating it.
 
I figured that if I melted some dark chocolate it would counteract some of the sweetness of the Nutella and I did start off with that in mind and then I thought 'Sod it, it's Easter...' so in the end I put it there because I thought it might help with the solidifying process of the nests, once mixed and assembled.
 
Anyway, the success of these was rapid and compelling. Within an hour these had been demolished by the kids, not me. Luckily they had gone before I got to them.
 
Nutella Nests
 
Makes approximately 12
 
Ingredients:
 
100g dark chocolate
100g Nutella
150 - 200g cornflakes (I used Crunchy Nut Cornflakes because it is what I had in the cupboard)
A bag of mini eggs
 
Method:
 
 
 
Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Do not allow the bowl to touch the simmering water.
 
 
 
Once melted, add the Nutella and mix to combine
 
 
 
Put the cornflakes into another bowl, then add the molten chocolate to them. Stir carefully to combine.
 
 
 
Using a non stick shallow cupcake/fairy cake pan (grease it with some unflavoured oil if need's be) spoon the mixture into the indentations, pressing the mixture into the sides to create a 'nest' effect.
 
 
 
Place two or three mini eggs into the centre.
 
Put the nests into the fridge to harden up. They won't fully harden because of the Nutella. Once cohered, carefully release the nests from the pan.
 
 
 
Keep any that are not eaten in the fridge, as they will become soft quickly.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...